Finalists Announced for 39th Canadian Sport Awards
Winners of Canada's Top 2011 Sporting Honours to be Announced January 17, 2012
Official Recognition for Canada's Top Athletes, Leaders, Volunteers, Coaches & Corporations
OTTAWA, Jan. 13, 2012 /CNW/ - The True Sport Foundation today announced the finalists for the 39th Canadian Sport Awards which honour and recognize the sporting achievements of Canada's finest athletes and the contributions of others in 2011.
"Once again, we are pleased to recognize the passion, dedication and spirit of our tremendous Canadian athletes, sport leaders, volunteers and corporations who support our athletes throughout the year," notes Peter Leyser, Executive Director, True Sport Foundation. "These finalists are extremely well deserving of the recognition for their strength and accomplishments."
Winners will be announced on January 17, 2012.
2011 Canadian Sport Awards Finalists
The Athletic Performance Awards recognize outstanding athletic performance. Finalists include:
Male Athlete of the Year:
Female Athlete of the Year:
- Patrick Chan, Figure Skating
- Erik Guay, Downhill Ski
- Adam Van Koeverden, Kayak
- Jennifer Heil, Freestyle Ski
- Christine Nesbitt, Speed Skating
- Catharine Pendrel, Cycling
- Alex Harvey, Cross Country Ski
- Brittany MacLean, Swimming
- Andrei Rogozine, Figure Skating
- Jeff Stoughton (skip), Jonathan Mead (3rd), Reid Carruthers (2nd), Steve Gould (lead), Garth Smith (alternate), Curling - Men's Team
2. James Armstrong (skip), Darryl Neighbour (3rd), Ina Forrest (2nd), Sonja Gaudet (lead), Bruno Yizek (alternate), Curling - Open Team Wheelchair
3. Amber Holland (skip), Kim Schneider (3rd), Tammy Schneider (2nd), Heather Kalenchuk (lead), Jolene Campbell (alternate), Curling - Women's Team
Partners of the Year:
- Alex Harvey & Devon Kershaw, Cross Country Ski, Men's Team Sprint
- Robbi Weldon & Lyne Bessette, Cycling, Women's Road Time Trial
- Michael Gilday, Olivier Jean, François Hamelin, Charles Hamelin, Speed Skating, Men's Short Track Relay
Leadership in Sport Award:
- Tom Quinn
- Ozzie Sawicki
- Richard Way
- Syed Ghazanfar
- Sue Neill
- Judith Tutty
- Canada Post Corporation
- Forzani Group
- Royal Canadian Legion
- Ottawa Senators Women's Bantam AA hockey team
- Crystal Phillips
- Michael Robertson
Any Canadian citizen can nominate an individual, team or corporation for the Canadian Sport Awards. Individuals and corporations can also self-nominate. Eligible entries were for performances or contributions from January 1, 2011 through to November 30, 2011.
About the Canadian Sport Awards
Established in 1972, the Canadian Sport Awards brings together leaders from the sporting and corporate communities who represent the pinnacle of commitment and competition: Canadian amateur athletes, coaches, sport leaders and volunteers. The annual awards promote sporting excellence across Canada and remind Canadians how sport lifts the human spirit. It is a tribute to the hard work, dedication and victories of our country's finest athletes. Managed by the True Sport Foundation, the Canadian Sport Awards boasts a strong relationship with its modern day founding partners, which include AthletesCAN, Canada Games, Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport, and the Commonwealth Games Association of Canada. For more information about the Canadian Sport Awards, please visit www.canadiansportawards.ca.
About the True Sport Foundation
The True Sport Foundation is a national charitable organization that promotes values-driven sport. As a leader in the True Sport Movement, the Foundation is focused on building and enriching communities and the lives of individuals by providing a safe, welcoming, and rewarding environment for all participants, at all levels of sport. The True Sport Foundation is committed to ensuring that sport makes a positive contribution to Canadian society, to our athletes, and to the physical and moral development of Canada's youth. The Foundation also plays a pivotal role in the Canadian sport system by bringing together leading sport organizations to promote, celebrate and recognize sporting excellence. For more information about the True Sport Foundation, please visit www.truesportfoundation.ca.
For complete nomination rules and guidelines, and more information about the Canadian Sport Awards, please visit www.canadiansportawards.ca.