We're here to tell the stories, not the opinions! Send us your story or results to info@wcblog2.com You control the story, help shape it!

Live WEBCASTING : www.ustream.tv/channel/wcblog2 Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/WCcurlingblog2

Translate to your required language

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Thrill for Bob as he gets GB call-up

Bob McPherson
Bob McPherson

It is only six years since Bob McPherson took up wheelchair curling, but he’s now set to join the world’s elite winter athletes in Sochi next year.

The 44-year-old from Bellshill will join Gregor Ewan, Tom Killin, Aileen Neilson to represent Great Britain at the Winter Paralympics being held in Russia.

Bob says he was thrilled when his selection was confirmed.

He said: “We had been out in Sochi for the world championships so had a feeling this might be the team they went with, but never like to assume anything.

“When I got the call to say I was definitely in the team I was over the moon.

“We finished sixth on our last visit to Russia, but it was the first time we had all played together in a major tournament so hopefully can push on from that result.

“The venue for that was the same one that will be used next year and it is great to have had that experience and even though hanging about in airports on just a long trip can be somewhat tedious I can’t wait to head back to Russia.”

Bob, who was born with Spina Bifida, joined South Lanarkshire Wheelchair Curling Club in Hamilton in 2007 after being persuaded to give the sport a go by his friend Jim Sellars, a former Paralympian himself.

He said: “I just started as a hobby, but I found that I really enjoyed it and was soon determined to make the performance squad.

“I did that, I have won a Scottish title and now I’m going to the Olympics, things just keep getting better and better.”

No comments: