We're here to tell the stories, not the opinions! Send us your story or results to info@wcblog2.com You control the story, help shape it!

Live WEBCASTING : www.ustream.tv/channel/wcblog2 Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/WCcurlingblog2

Translate to your required language

Monday, December 16, 2013

14 for 14: Patrick McDonald, wheelchair curling

           
By Patrick McDonald | Dec. 14, 2013, 11:30 a.m. (ET)
 
Patrick McDonald
At the 2013 world championships, Patrick McDonald led Team USA to a fourth place finish.

My name is Patrick McDonald. At the Vancouver 2010 Paralympic Winter Games, I finished fourth in the wheelchair curling competition. I became the Team USA skip in 2012 and was just named the skip of the 2014 U.S. Paralympic Wheelchair Curling Team. With my teammates David Palmer, Jimmy Joseph, Penny Greely and Meghan Lino, I hope to win Team USA’s first Paralympic medal in our sport.

I am a U.S. Army veteran. I lost the use of my legs in Nov. 1991 when the armored personnel carrier

I was riding in rolled on the way back from patrol in Korea.

Here are 14 things you should know about me as I strive towards Sochi:

One of Patrick McDonald's favorite tattoos
1. I started collecting tattoos when I was 13.

Now I have tattoos from my ears to my ankles. My favorite tattoo, which has the date of my injury, is shown to the right.

2. I always pick up the same souvenir on trips.

I like to bring back snow globes for my kids from all of the countries I travel to.

3. For myself, I collect Superman everything.

Snow globes are just for my kids.

4. I have two children: a daughter, Andie, and a son, Kaelen.

My daughter is an outstanding curler. She has been working with some high-end coaches, including coach Steve Brown from the wheelchair team and Debbie McCormick, who was the skip of the past couple U.S. women’s teams.

5. Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies.

I like to find new recipes and love to cook fancy dinners for my family. I make the best BBQ ribs and like to compete in chili cook offs.

6. I buy local.

One of my favorite things is going to the local farmers market with my family. I like to buy stuff from all the farmers.

7. I never wear out shoes.

That's why I collect them. Right now, I have about 25-30 pairs total.

8. I have a 1.5 United States Golf Association handicap in golf.

I also have the longest drive from a wheelchair at 358 yards. 

9. I like it hot.

When it comes to food, the spicier the dish, the better.

10. I am a mixed martial arts fan.

Nothing is better than watching an MMA fight with a cold beer.

11. I moved from California to Madison, Wis., to live the life of a curler.

It is very different for my family. I love my wife, Carrie, because she hates the snow here but never complains about it.

12. Once I retire from the sport, I want to move to someplace tropical.

I promised my wife Carrie that we would get out of the cold when I’m done.

13. I miss one thing from my walking days.

Racing dirt bikes in the desert of Southern California to Mexico is the only thing from then that I wish I could do now.

14. I am very involved with breast cancer awareness and literacy efforts. 

My wife says I have a warm heart, which is why I love to help people. I have played in golf events and attended black-tie dinners to help raise about $100,000 for various organizations.

No comments: