We're here to tell the stories, not the opinions! Send us your story or results to info@wcblog2.com You control the story, help shape it!

Live WEBCASTING : www.ustream.tv/channel/wcblog2 Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/WCcurlingblog2

Translate to your required language

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Thoughts for a difference maker


2010 John McCrae Trophy
Retrieved from N. Ontario by Ontario skip Bruce Cameron
I met Bruce Cameron several years ago at a little bonspiel in the middle of nowhere. Right off the start I knew Bruce was a voice and person to be reckoned with. Bruce Cameron has been the corner stone in the Ottawa region in wheelchair curling  for as many years as I can remember. He has worked tirelessly to be a difference maker for the region so they can enjoy his passion for the sport of curling. He has been noted for having a voice in the sport when others have not be as bold. If  taking on the opinions or comments on the Wheelchair Curling Blog or Blog 2 he has always signed his name.
It was a little saddening when I heard that Bruce was been ill as of late. Ill is saying the least. Bruce has been diagnosed with Leukemia. In his own words: I wasn't feeling well for a couple of days so decided to go to emergency on 20 Feb. I was admitted to the hospital with a diagnosis of Leukemia…” 

His spirits as all those who know Bruce is high and I am happy to say so does his health appear to be.
“… I responded well with strength returning and blood levels stabilizing. I remained in hospital for 10 days and received my first "light" chemo there before sending me home with meds. ..“

We all know players but very often forget the people behind the players; the real life which often and sometimes surprisingly sneaks up on those players.  As always Bruce drifts his thoughts back to his teammates, the ice and share his wit:
“ I am convinced I could still curl except they inserted a PICC catheter in my upper right arm and they don't want any strenuous activity with that arm. I wasn't thinking fast enough, should have had them put it in the left arm” 

Bruce also wanted to clear the air on a couple of miss quotes on the Blog and the newspapers as of late;
“ I attended neither Huntsville or Collingwood so that wasn't me who drew the button but it was a cumulative team thing done early in the competition and Christine actually covered the pin so that is how we got bronze. At Huntsville, Katie curled with the team and in Collingwood they curled with either three or a couple of games with Frank. “

So Bruce we all here wish you the best in your recovery and anticipate seeing you in fine form in the fall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear about Bruce's diagnosis. Here's praying for the strength and courage to beat this thing! Many good and positive thoughts going your way Bruce!

Debbie Earle said...

Bruce; I recently heard about your illness. Know that all your team mates across the Country are praying for you, and wishing you all the best.

Debbie Earle
Nova Scotia