We're here to tell the stories, not the opinions! Send us your story or results to info@wcblog2.com You control the story, help shape it!

Live WEBCASTING : www.ustream.tv/channel/wcblog2 Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/WCcurlingblog2

Translate to your required language

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Rising from a ’copter crash seven years ago, Mark Ideson has his sights set on Sochi gold in wheelchair curling

PARALYMPICS

Rising from a ’copter crash seven years ago, Mark Ideson has his sights set on Sochi gold in wheelchair curling 

By Morris Dalla Costa, The London Free Press
                                   

Curler Mark Ideson, who will represent Canada at the Paralympics in Sochi, Russia, practices throwing rocks down the sheet at the Ilderton Curling Club as he prepares for competition in Ilderton, Ontario on Tuesday February 4, 2014. (CRAIG GLOVER, The London Free Press)
Curler Mark Ideson, who will represent Canada at the Paralympics in Sochi, Russia, practices throwing rocks down the sheet at the Ilderton Curling Club as he prepares for competition in Ilderton, Ontario on Tuesday February 4, 2014. (CRAIG GLOVER, The London Free Press)


It was seven years ago on Groundhog Day when Mark Ideson’s life changed.


He was piloting a helicopter on a training run when he crashed in a field in Cambridge.
Doctors didn’t think he would walk again.


After being unconscious for weeks in a Hamilton hospital, he was moved to London where over time he defied the predictions. He regained the use of his arms and while he still uses a wheelchair, he can walk with the aid of a walker.


But Ideson says his life changed in another way.


“Seven years ago on Groundhog Day I was lying in the hospital unconscious for a couple of weeks,” he said. “When I woke up, I never would have imagined that I’d be where I am today.”
Wednesday he will be in Ilderton playing second for Mike Munro’s rink at the Ontario wheelchair curling championship.


On March 1, Ideson will be joining skip Jim Armstrong from Cambridgeon the five-member team that will be leaving for Sochi, Russia, looking to win a gold medal for Canada at the Paralympic Games.
Ideson was an alternate on the team that won the world wheelchair championship, a test event for Sochi, a year ago.


“Seven years has certainly gone by in the blink of an eye,” Ideson said. “I’ve certainly have my challenges. But I’ve been very well supported by my wife and two children and family. Day to day, I live my life like everyone else. Every day, even still, is an improvement on the last.


“Having an accident like that isn’t a wonderful experience, but I’ve had a lot of great things come from it. I’ve met a lot of great people and had great experiences I never would have had able-­bodied.”
Ideson normally skips his own rink out of Ilderton but for this Ontario championship he’ll play second.


“This year I didn’t want to think. I just wanted to throw,” he said.


As an alternate in Sochi last year, Ideson didn’t play much but this year the team is going as a five-person unit and he’ll play.


It’s remarkable considering Ideson didn’t really take up the sport until four years ago.


“I did curl a little bit able-bodied when I lived in Parry Sound,” he said. “I curled with buddies. We never missed a shot when watching on TV but we didn’t make many when we were at the curling club. I certainly make a lot more sitting down than I ever did standing up, that’s for sure.”


Going to Sochi is like a dream to Ideson. He admits to being an Olympic junkie. He says that when Olympics of any kind come up, the television is tuned into the Games “non-stop.”
“When a Canadian athlete won a medal I was literally standing up there with them,” he said. “I had so much passion for the Olympics and the Canadian athletes that sink their heart and soul into representing their country.”


Ideson is still finding it difficult to believe.


“Until we hit the airplane and our journey gets underway it will be hard to believe,” said the 37-year-old Ideson. “Right now it’s surreal.”


Before Sochi though, Ideson is going to have to get through the Ontario championship.
The Munro rink is one of seven looking for the title with two others curling locally, Tony Reynen and Gilbert Blanchette.


Draws begin Wednesday’s at 10 a.m., and 3 p.m. The final goes Sunday at 2:30. With seven teams, the playoffs will use the Page system.


The Ilderton Curling Club bid for the event two years ago.


The winner of this event will go to the Canadian championship being held the end of April in Boucherville, Que. 

No comments: